Lydbrook, Church Hill from Hangerberry (New Road)
The railings gates and pillars bottom right were of a double house owned and built by Mr E.J. Flewelling who from about 1913 until 1940 built all the brick houses in Lydbrook. The newly finished football ground and playground can be seen. Bottom left is the large roof of the Primitive Methodist Church. The Anglican Church of Holy Jesus built in 1851 dominates the scene having been greatly sponsored by some of the local Iron and Coal masters. It has been recently been refurbished with internal kitchen and toilets. The pews have been removed and replaced with chairs allowing a greater use for community work. The graveyard spaces are all filled, Lydbrook folk are now buried at nearby Mile End cemetery. This cemetery has connections with Lydbrook in that it's walls made use of stone removed when the famous viaduct was dismantled. Lower down the road in the church boundary wall was a horse trough, the water leaving colour traces of iron sulphates. Only a few scattered cottages are present on the hillside. The open hillside once called "The Slips" is now covered in maturing conifers
- Ken W Sollars
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.