Lydbrook, Church Hill from Hangerberry Hill - looking East 1937-1940
The Anglican Church of Holy Jesus built in 1851 overlooks the recreation ground. Local men, mainly miners, have by this time levelled the "Old Blue Mound". The work was carried out entirely by pick and shovel and pit carts. This work was the inspired by a local man who looked out through his window and was moved to persuade others to move the "Old Blue Mound" a large pile of waste from "Lydbrook Deep Navigation" pit. The new playground equipment can be seen and the protective wire fencing around the young trees. The foreground area is still used as a football pitch. A large land "slump" can be seen to the right. Stone quarries scar the hillside in the background
Left: an article from the Gloucester Journal of Saturday 07 March 1942.
Mr Miles called a meeting in 1937 to consider moving 37,000 tons of the Blue Mound in the centre of Lydbrook.
Mr Miles was headmaster of Lydbrook School for 25 years and secretary of Lydbrook Memorial Hall.
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.