Upper Lydbrook 1938-1939 looking South.
Looking south up the Lydbrook valley. The area middle left was a result of levelling the "Old Blue Mound" during the middle 1930's. Behind the tennis court is another mound of pit waste. This was levelled in the 1970-80's and a number of houses built upon it. "Hillside" the row of houses march up church road from the tennis court. The house with bay windows was the "Crown and Sceptre" inn. The second property had been a Sweet Shop and Hairdressers in it's day. Immediately to the right of the tennis court , the square shaped building was the other side of church road and was the "Winding House" for Lydbrook Deep Navigation pit. The adit was close to the first cottage. The Deep Navigation Pit gave rise to the spoil tip behind and the "Old Blue Mound"
- Ken W Sollars.
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.