Lydney Cinema Orchestra.
John added: "This includes the silent picture orchestra who
were all members of the Belcher family.
On the left is son, Ivor. Violinist.
At the back, 3rd from the right is father, James W. Flautist.
On the right is son Harold. Double Bassist.
The girl in the dark dress, in the middle row on the right, may be daughter Ethel, who played the Piano and sang.
The photo is signed 'Yours Sincerely Ivor'
The cinema was opened in 1913 by the Watts family and taken over during the 1st World War by Albany Ward Pictures, a film distribution company. It closed in 1964 and was demolished.
Later on, after the advent of the 'Talkies', James concentrated the family's
musical talents in a family dance band called the Paragon 'D' Orchestra,
which now included his youngest son, Norman (Jack) on the Saxophone and
clarinet. It's not so far known who played the drums.
James also taught private lessons on all the musical instruments aforementioned.
As a Private in the Army Reserves during the 1st World War, he played the Last Post on the trumpet at all the Military funerals in the Forest of Dean area.".
Can anyone help identify the other people or provide John with more information?.
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.