SunGreen web site - Lydney, Parkend, Newnham, Tidenham and nearby areas.

TAP or Click here to show or hide the MENU

1935 Albion lorry

1935 GPO Albion lorry

Brian Oliver recalls this vehicle: "This Albion was purchased by Mr Melville Watts around 1978, from a man in Cheltenham, who had bought it off a farmer, with the intention of restoring it but decided it was too big a project, and so offered it to Mr Melville as Watts were Albion agents. I recovered it from the man's garden, and it was taken to the Watts Factors workshop at Lydney where it was discovered that the home built cab and body were completely rotted and beyond repair. The chassis was cleaned and primed and the engine partially stripped for inspection, Mr Melville then decided that as he had other projects in hand the Albion would be left for the time being. No further work was carried out and eventually the chassis and running gear were sold ...".

"After arriving at Lydney some research was carried out into the origins of the Albion, it's registration number was CLP 536 and it was supplied in 1935 to GPO Telephones as a Linesman's Van, it was fitted with a box van body with a flap over the cab which could be opened to facilitate the carrying of a telegraph pole. A fleet of these vehicles were supplied to the GPO and they were used all over the UK, there is at least one restored as an original Linesman's Van and a few others restored with modified bodies fitted after the GPO sold them on. They were based on the Albion 2 ton Chassis and had 4 cylinder side valve petrol engines, a 4 speed gearbox and only had rear wheel brakes".

After a time with a Blakeney man, the lorry is now in the hands of a restorer in South Glos.

If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here

WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.