SunGreen web site - Lydney, Parkend, Newnham, Tidenham and nearby areas.

TAP or Click here to show or hide the MENU

Lydney Grammar School Magazine 1963

(Abridged) - transcribed by Liz McBride

Vol. 2 No.1 School Year, 1962-63

Editorial Committee:

Looking back at one’s schooldays is like looking at a distant landscape: the details are vague, the outlines blurred, the years merge into one and the events of a particular year become cloudy and uncertain. One purpose, perhaps the most important one, of a school magazine is to preserve the events of any school year so that they become once again distinct and individual in the reader’s mind. This is more particularly its function this year, the School’s Diamond Jubilee Year, recognition of which will be evident from the birthday cover of our issue and a special article written for the occasion, and appropriately enough we feel, by a first-form pupil.
The Speech Day marking this Jubilee was held last October in the School Hall and proved to be one of the most successful of recent years. The prizes, on this occasion, were presented by Dr. Alan Bullock, Master of St Catherine’s College, Oxford, the eminent historian and television personality. His speech, which dwelt on the difficulties of educational progress in the country, was particularly apt as the school has, in the past, been hampered in its efforts to secure such vital school improvements as a new Science block and hard tennis courts. We are pleased to report, however, that the sixtieth year of the school’s history has seen the start of the construction of the long-awaited Science block.
The weather also contributed to making this school year a memorable one. Few people will forget the fearful winter which for a term seriously affected our lives. From January to March many pupils experienced great difficulty in getting to school, some, to their delight perhaps, being unable at times to reach school at all. Any journey of any distance was extremely uncomfortable and usually hazardous.
Our successors may not consider this year an exceptional one in the School’s history, but to us events of the kind we have mentioned here have been important, and we hope that 1963 at L.G.S. has been adequately and faithfully recorded in this magazine.

At the beginning of the school year we welcomed two new members of staff: Miss Croton to take charge of Domestic Science and to help with Junior Biology and Miss Hopkins to teach Junior Mathematics, Physics and to help with Games.
We should like to congratulate Dr. and Mrs.. Howells on the birth of a daughter.
It was with regret that we said goodbye last Easter to Mrs. Clarkson and Mrs. James who had both been on the school’s catering staff for many years, Mrs. Clarkson having been Head Cook for the past thirteen years. We wish both Mrs. Clarkson and Mrs. James much happiness in retirement.
Mrs. Clarkson became our Canteen Supervisor in September, 1950, and officially retired in April, 1963. Throughout that time she showed real love and devotion to the ever-changing stream of pupils and staff, and unselfish and unobtrusive service to the many interests of the school.
Most people will remember her best in her white overall, standing by the hatch and serving with great rapidity the apparently never-ending queue, or signalling that she was ready with seconds, at the same time keeping an eagle eye on the door and the collection of dinner-tickets, but there are other mental photographs I carry. Mrs. Clarkson in the Mistresses Room calculating the hundreds of fractions of pounds and ounces of meat, cheese, sugar etc. which were the official allowance and which had to be turned by her into a fortnight’s balanced and varied meal, or Mrs. Clarkson in her little pantry counting dinner-tickets or putting out supplies for the Head Girl for team teas or at night bottling fruit by the hundred-weight or making fruit-cakes for the Christmas parties or the Old Boys’ Cricket Match or making coffee by the gallon for sale in the intervals of operas and plays. The list could go on and on.
Possibly the fact that Mrs. Clarkson is herself an Old Girl of the school accounts for such service, but I always knew that however difficult or belated the request, after the initial indignation which I grew to expect and even enjoy, she would rise to the occasion and all the arrangements would be smooth and efficient.
She was responsible for a great deal of the success of many of our social occasions, but her real worth was her complete reliability. No matter what happened whether it was no gas for cooking when the Severn Bridge was smashed, or snow and ice holding up supplies, or overwhelming heat in the kitchen, or illness of her Staff we knew we should always be fed, and for this and for her many great kindnesses we are truly thankful, and deeply in her debt.
We hope we shall see Mrs. Clarkson in school again perhaps enjoying coffee at a school play instead of serving it but we know she will always rally round and help if we ask, and that is a comfort now we have officially said Goodbye.


Head Boy: D. Guest
Head Girl: Valerie Bowen
Vice Head Boy: P. Thomas
Vice Head Girl: Jessie Dodds

Prefects - Boys Prefects - Girls








Term begins.  Miss Croton as Domestic Science Mistress Miss Hopkins replaces Mr Sneyd.

Vth Form trip to London.

Careers interviews with VIth Formers.








Parents evening – VIth Forms.

Talk to Senior girls on Civil Service by Careers Advisory Officer Mr Sweeney.

Talk to boys by Rank’s Personnel Officer, Mr Edwards.

Annual Prize giving – Presentation by Dr Alan Bullock.

Half Term Holiday.








Visit by Army Liaison Officer Capt. Farr.

Governors’ Meeting.

IVth and Vth Form visit to Everyman Theatre, Cheltenham – ‘The Rivals’.

Remembrance Day Service.

Visit from F/O Delbridge W.R.A.F.




End of term.

Heating failure.  No school after 2 p.m.








Term begins.

Visit from Lt. Ling R.N.

Visit from S/Ldr. Iles

Two St. Paul’s Training College Students begin teaching practice.




Governors’ Meeting

Half -term Holiday






School Party on Mediterranean Cruise with Senior Mistress and Mr. Winspear.

Lecture to VIth Forms by Mr. Carr.

Party of boys to Twickenham for Schoolboy’s International.






Careers Interviews of Vth Formers

Careers talk for the help of parents of IVth Formers.

Lydney Schools Music Festival in Town Hall.

Term Ends.




Term begins.







Two St. Paul’s Training College Students four weeks teaching practice.  Two London University Students attached for a fortnight.

III Alpha at Churnside Camp for a week.

Governors’ Meeting.

School Athletics Sports







Half-term Holiday

(Mrs. Clarkson retires as Cook/Supervisor and is succeeded by Mrs. Charles).

Visit to Three Counties Show.

Dr. Hunt shows film on smoking to 1st and 2nd. Forms.















Visit to Army Apprentices’ School, Beachley, of IV T and III A boys.

Visit to Loughborough of IV T and V T boys with Mr. R.E. Jones.

Talk to IV th Form boys by S/Ldr. Iles.

Talk to VI th Form leavers by Mrs. Parrot.

Talk to IV th Forms by Careers Advisory Officer.

School Concert.

VIth Form visit to London.

Talk to girl leavers by Mrs. Jenkins, W.V.S. for Civil Defence.

School Service in St. Mary’s Parish Church – Preacher: Rev. Eric Evans.

School Swimming Sports.

Annual Cricket Match against Old Boys’ XI

Term ends.




During the year the Junior Mixed Choir met on Wednesdays, and the Senior Mixed Choir on Fridays. The Senior Choir represented the school at the first Lydney Schools’ Music festival in the town Hall on April 3rd and the School Concert was given before an audience of nearly three hundred people in the Town Hall on Wednesday, July 17th.
The School Concert was the high water mark of the Society’s work during the year. It opened with the Junior Choir singing two pieces by Schubert and Grieg, and later in the evening the Choir added songs by Herbert Howells, Arne, Grieg and Warlock. Pat Vedmore and Susan Ridler, two promising young pianists, gave praiseworthy performances of contrasting items. Julian D’Aubyn gave a piano solo and was joined by Adrian Morgan in duets in differing moods. In the Woodwind Section Hilary Leach played a piece for oboe by César Franck and then with Ian Thompson, clarinet played some Schubert. In contrast, Linda Thornton and Susan Gardner gave a cornet duet.
The guest artist was Mr David Williams, tenor, accompanied by his wife. He sang an aria from Mozart’s ‘The Magic Flute’ and one from Meyerbeer’s L’Africaine’. Both items were received with enthusiasm. Two unaccompanied folk songs were sung with great feeling by Carol Brown, one of the Senior girls and were much appreciated.
The second half of the concert opened with songs from the Senior choir. Then an Instrumental Ensemble consisting of violins, recorders and a cello supported by a piano gave an attractive programme of well known airs. It is worth stating that the greater number of the members of the ensemble were in their first year as musicians.
Faure’s ‘Requiem’ was the principal item in the evening’s entertainment with Mr. David Williams as tenor, carol Brown, soprano and Neil Brambell, baritone. Mr. Gordon Phillips, himself, conducted the choir, Mr. Howard Pitt accompanying at the piano. After seven months of practice everyone was superficially confident, but no doubt, a little worried subconsciously. After the opening Introit et Kyrie, the Requiem ran very smoothly. The third section, the Sanctus started a little uncertainly, but very quickly picked up. The choir was at its best in the ‘Agnus Dei’, which was thought t by many of the choir to contain the most beautiful melody in the entire Requiem. The final section In Paradisum- was beautifully sung by the sopranos and made a fine climax to the whole work. The effort had been worth while, and the enthusiastic ovation was reward sufficient for much enduring effort.
On behalf of the choir I should like to thank Mr. Pitt, Miss Boulton and in particular, Mr. Gordon Phillips for making such a memorable concert possible.

Although there has not been a production of a play this year we understand that the Dramatic Society proposes to go on stage again towards the end of the coming Spring Term. We expect our problems will be considerably eased by the use of a permanent, but movable apron stage that will replace the elaborate and ingenious construction of platforms and tables that has had to serve us in the past. No doubt, this will be a great relief to those members of staff who have got used to losing stature in the eyes of their classes with the departure of their teaching platforms during the period of final rehearsals towards the end of alternate Spring Terms.

On January 21st, 1903, this school was founded and we thought in this Jubilee year, it would be only fitting to remember something of the early days of the school.

If it were possible to make some device like the Time Machine of H. G. Wells to take us back to the year 1903, there is no doubt that we should view the newly established school in Lydney with some surprise. In many ways it would be different from the school we know today.
Mr. Frank Dixon B.Sc. was the headmaster of Lydney Secondary School, as it was known. There was a staff of three, as compared with the twenty-eight of the present day. However there were only forty pupils and, when the school first opened, only two classrooms.
After the first ten years the numbers increased to about two hundred and only children over eight and under nineteen were accepted for the school, providing that he or she had passed the examination and possessed a good character and good health. It is interesting to note here that one of the earliest pupils was Dr. Herbert Howells the famous musician who composed music for the coronation of our present Queen.
There were basic differences in the design of the school as compared with the structure of the present time. The school entrance was situated near the Physics Laboratories and the changing rooms for games could be found where the drawing office was built on recent years. When the weather was wet and the hockey pitch out of use, pupils practised on the stretch of tarmac which is now covered up by the school hall.
Tennis, hockey and cricket were played in school and so, for a time was Association Football, until someone sustained an injury!
There were certainly more hardships for the pupil to endure. Transport to and from school was not provided, and neither were school meals or free milk. Fees of two pounds per term also had to be paid by nearly all pupils. However there was no school uniform to be provided.
A brief glance at the past reveals the progress the school has made in sixty years. Now there are new projects planned, and it is to be hoped that the school has a further sixty years of growth and achievement ahead of it.

It has always been a debatable point as to who enjoys the school parties most: the first and third formers for whom they are intended, or the prefects who organise them. Certainly as the weeks go by and the festive season is no longer a distant prospect but a rapidly approaching reality, all the prefects, both boys and girls, become caught up in the general activity involved in the preparation for them.
While the Head Girl hastily searches the cookery books for original recipes, the artistic members of the sixth form are persuaded, willingly or otherwise, into designing the cut out silhouettes which illustrate the main theme of the decoration for the school Hall. It has always been difficult to choose a theme that will fit in with the traditional idea of Christmas; once such a theme is decided upon, however, the greatest amount of effort goes into the masterpiece of artistry which, when the boys have completed it, is suspended from the beams by wires and ropes to dominate the whole School Hall. The past few years have seen such varied objects as a rather peculiar and unsavoury looking Christmas pudding, a sputnik, a bored looking reindeer and an Aladdin’s lamp complete with genie. Last Christmas, as many will remember we lived among the fish for a few weeks with a whale providing the centrepiece.
During the weekend before the parties are held, the woods are invaded by an army of boys who collect great quantities of greenery with which they festoon the beams of the Hall. This, although it may look attractive, has the unwelcome result of giving the school dinners an additional and unrequired flavour that of pine!
At last the day of the first party arrives, usually to find the organisers with many things still to do if all is to run smoothly. Last minute alterations have to be made to the decorations, or the lighting suddenly fails, while invariably there is still a great deal to be done on the catering side.
By the afternoon all is miraculously complete and the first formers begin to pour into the hall. To start with the atmosphere is often rather chilly but all is well as soon as games such as the ever-popular ‘Oxford and Cambridge’ or ‘Stirring the Pudding’ are started. From then onwards, things never look back.
Tea provided at the expense of the girl prefects’ blistered feet and aching backs, is usually followed by a series of sketches. This last year, the school was able to procure, at great cost, the presence of the famous mind-reader, Madame Yusinovitch together with her assistant, and also the fabulous Vernon Girls (bearing, incidentally, a remarkable resemblance to three prominent members of the sixth-form) who entertained us with their latest hit record.
Time flies however, and soon all is over. The tired members of the first form begin to depart, leaving the even more tired prefects with the task of clearing-up and beginning the preparations for the next party.

The winter of 1962-63 proved to be one of the most severe within memory, and certainly I cannot remember another winter when the snow remained on the ground for such a length of time, that is from late December to March. We in St Briavels found great difficulty in getting to school, for the snow had drifted from hedge to hedge all along the main Chepstow and Lydney roads, forming a relentless barricade to any sort of traffic. Underneath the snow was a treacherous layer of ice, for as soon as the snow began to melt in daytime it was frozen again during the night and then more snow fell to increase the drifts.
The difficulties of communication affected all the life of the village. The only road which was not completely blocked was the one to Coleford. Along this road came supplies, but there were no magazines or papers to give us news as to how others were coping with the snow, and there was a shortage of what we most needed, bread and coal.
There were attempts to ease this situation but the snow ploughs and tractors used ror this purpose tried in vain to clear the roads. Several bulldozers were brought into use, but even these failed. It seemed as if the snow was reluctant to leave the land it had blanketed.
We missed many weeks of school because the school bus rarely managed to reach St Briavels, and on the few occasions when it did, there were always delays. It was then decided that the bus should take advantage of one roads not blocked by the snow and travel across the Bream Avenue instead of via Aylburton. However this change of plan was not carried out for long because the Chase road became impassable. So that we should reach school by some means it was decided that two taxis should be hired to carry eight of us to Bream, where we would be able to catch the Bream school bus.
Although the snow brought hardship to everybody in the village, I think what I shall remember most is the way in which we broke through the snow siege in those two taxis.

From the hill above Malvern we caught a glimpse of the car parks, packed with cars, and next to these the showground itself.
The car park was swarming with activity: doors were slamming and people were getting out, while the busy policeman on duty guided other cars and coaches to their places. Much to our delight dogs of all sorts, shapes and sizes were being helped from various cars by their owners. There was evidently a dog show!
Once through the crowded entrance we strolled off to examine the exhibits. The animals being our main interest we soon found ourselves peering into an enclosure labelled ‘DOGS’.
Inside the first marquee we entered, several Alsatians looked at us with mournful, velvety eyes as if imploring us to let them out of the stifling tent. Not all of them however, were quite so subdued and, much to our horror, one set up a fierce barking as we passed.
From the Alsatian-Collie tent we made our way to the one in which the Great Danes were housed. These animals, though so huge as almost to dwarf us by their size, were much more docile and friendly. All were being carefully brushed and combed and we even heard one fond owner say, Come along sweetie, to the largest most savage looking dog we had ever seen in our lives.
The next tent contained the Boxers, Pugs and Bulldogs, the last of which looked like bad-tempered barrels set on sagging Queen Anne legs.
As we looked around, we decided that owners really do grow to look like their pets. An extremely tall lady was escorted by an extremely large Great Dane, while between another lady and the bulldog she was leading there was a startling resemblance.
In the next tent the poodles were being titivated with brushes, combs and even hair lacquer! Weak with laughter we left the Dog Show and went to see the rabbits.
Next the crows, clucks and coos which issued from the poultry tents enticed us in. We were amazed at the great variety of hens and pigeons that either crouched miserably in corners or strutted disdainfully round their tiny cages.
The colours of the flowers in the flower-tent nearly took our breath away. Sections were divided off for roses, fuchsias, lupins and many other types of flowers. It was with difficulty that we tore ourselves away to take one last look at the other exhibits which incidentally included art-work done by pupils of this school.
As we rode home, we discussed the things we had seen; we decided that we had all enjoyed the outing very much but, for tjhose who had seen it, the Dog Show made the day.

Every morning I grab my satchel and rush out through the door, tripping over the dog and innumerable cats on the way to arrive breathlessly at the bottom of our drive just in time to see the school bus breast the top of the hill. My brother is usually seen sauntering along behind me as though he has all the time in the world, with mother rushing along behind him, brandishing a dagger like needle, hoping to replace a lost button on his shirt.
Once on the bus we get the usual comment from the driver, who always appears to have got out of bed the wrong side.
Late again! I should think you had kippers for breakfast.
After giving him a frigid glare, I have to contend with the first obstacle on the Lydney Grammar School bus which runs twice daily between Chepstow and Lydney, a distance of approximately twelve miles. This obstacle is the getting and furthermore, keeping of a seat. Selecting two first formers I proceed politely to broach the subject of moving-up. My plea is promptly returned with either the bold accusation of You moved us up yesterday! or a piece of friendly advice on what to do with myself in the very near future. A large, thick and solid-looking wooden hockey stick lies temptingly on the luggage-rack but, being a pupil of Lydney Grammar School, I seek a less violent aid from the right source. A heavy footfall is followed by, Move up at once! The curt crushing order is grudgingly obeyed for it is not to the advantage of first and second form beings to dispute the decision of those in higher places, and the constantly over-hanging threat of detention quells the revolt of even the most naturally rebellious victim.
Strains of popular songs are being bawled from the back seat and this is not designed to put one in the best of humours. After being hit half a dozen times by paper pellets I drag a Latin book from my satchel and try to absorb a vocabulary which somehow eluded my attention the previous evening.
Some of my companions, however, are content to gaze out of the window at the fleeting countryside while the bus snakes its way over the hills and down the slopes to school. Eventually their sleepy brains register the fact that the building itself is in the offing and they accordingly arm themselves with games kit, football boots and hockey sticks to join the battle for the goal of being first through the door.
Homework is laid aside and I proceed to pick my way through the maze of gondola baskets which are strategically placed, lining the gangway. I cautiously step over one such obstacle only to find my foot destined for someone’s two eggs, half-a-pound of margarine and bottle of milk, which form the requirements of the day’s cookery lesson. Miraculously enough, these objects usually come unscathed through the disorderly exodus from the bus.
As I descend the steps of the vehicle I contemplate my fate in the approaching test and comfort myself with the sincere hope that perhaps he’ll forget to set it!
With the assistance of JUDITH RYMER, V Alpha

PRIZE LIST (1962-1963)


Sixth Form Prizes
The New Zealand prize MAUREEN MORGAN
Metalwork D.TREHERNE
Woodwork J.GUEST
Bledisloe British Empire Essay Prize 1963 E.C. SHERMER
Charles Clark Cup S. THOMAS

Reading Prizes:


VALERIE BOWEN University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire, Cardiff (Pharmacy)
JANE HARRISON Gloucestershire T.C.
MARTINE HOOD Scientific Assistant, Naval Propellant Factory
JANE PARTON Redland T.C. Bristol
ELIZABETH RICE St Georges Hospital, London
MARION SHERMER Rolle College, Exmouth
JOCELYN WATKINS Gypsy Hill T.C., London
VALERIE WILDIN St Matthias T.C., Bristol
C. BAYLISS Technical Apprenticeship G.E.C. Coventry
D. GARDNER Practical Experience with A. Hurran, Gloucester
J. GREEN College of Ford Technology, Weybridge
D.GUEST Pine End
R. JONES Leicester University (Zoology)
A. RUDGE Long Ashton Research Station, Bristol
C. TAYLOR Student Teacher, Staffordshire Education Authority
P.THOMAS Leeds University (Pharmacology)
B. TREHERNE St Paul’s T.C. Cheltenham
CAROL BROWN West Midland T.C., Walsall
WENDY COOKE North Gloucestershire Technical College
JESSIE DODDS Sussex University (History)
MARY ELLWAY Gloucestershire T.C.
HAZEL HOLMAN Residential Care of Children
SUSAN JENKINS Executive Civil Service
MAUREEN MORGAN West Midland T.C., Walsall
VALERIE NEW Civil Service
SHIRLEY POWELL Southampton University (English & History)
A. WILCOX Midland Bank, Gloucester
JACQUELINE BELCHER Civil Service, Cheltenham
JENNIFER CHILVERS Norfolk and Norwich Training Hospital
JANET FOX Secretarial work with Whitecroft Pin Factory
LESLEY PUTWAIN Guy’s Hospital (Nursing)
R. BARON North Gloucestershire Technical College
T. BLANDFORD Cirencester Agricultural College
P.CROUCH Police Force
B. MOORE Hotel Management, Torquay


In response to interest shown by Sixth Form music-lovers, a Record Club was formed and began to meet in the Autumn Term under the supervision of Mr. Northam, Mr. Lawrence and Mr. Stevens. The object of the Club is to give Sixth Formers a chance to improve their acquaintance with the world of classical music.
The Club began by borrowing the rather ancient portable gramophone belonging to the English Department. As a result of Staff Room conversations, however, greatly improved equipment was produced. Mr. Pitt kindly donated an unwanted gramophone cabinet, which Mr. R. E. Jones skilfully renovated and fitted with up-to-date playing equipment. He also very generously presented us with a separate loud—speaker unit, all of which greatly improved the quality of the reproduction. The new equipment was installed in Room One, where we did our best to insulate ourselves from the inevitable noise of inclement Friday lunch-hours. The weekly programmes contained varied music, ranging from Telemann to Malcolm Arnold and containing popular symphonies like Tchaikovsky’s Fourth, famous piano concerti like Grieg’s A Minor and Beethoven’s "Emperor", a selection of interesting and tuneful overtures by Rossini, Weber and Berlioz, and works of other well known composers as dissimilar as Mozart and Delius, Haydn and Sir Arnold Bax. A staunch though small band of second-year enthusiasts supported the Record Club and it is hoped that sufficient members I will be found next term to enable the Club to continue.


Having lost several of its leading members at the end of last year, the club decided to change from its original kind of music, rock and roll, to jazz. This necessarily was on a simplified scale, but the basis of improvisation was present.
Improvisation is the heart of jazz and it is responsible for much of its individuality and expressiveness. Today, it hardly exists outside jazz, but for centuries the art of improvisation was an integral part of musical creation and execution, for example: Bach, Handel, Mozart and Beethoven were all great improvisers. Collective improvisation imposes restrictions on individual exploration and, if chaos is to be avoided, a fairly simple basis such as a blues sequence is followed. The blues are the most moving reminders of the negro’s life. Jazz had its origin with the American negro, whose life consisted almost entirely of work, with no time for leisure or love. Music was part of their lives, and their blues songs are usually a crude, direct statement of their everyday trouble and sorrows. After the emancipation of the negroes, their music remained mostly vocal and the white man’s hymns and folk songs had a great deal of influence upon them.
We all enjoyed our modest exploration into the large and fascinating world of jazz, and I should like to take this opportunity of thanking Mr. Reginald Jones, on behalf of the Guitar Club, for his enthusiasm and encouragement, and for taking such a great interest in us all.


At the beginning of the 1962-63 Autumn Term, Mr. Cotton, in response to the interest shown, decided to revive the Chess Club. The Club was hindered by early difficulties for it was held in Room Two during the dinner hour and, with the approach of the bad weather, that room was naturally wanted for 3A whose form-room it was. An attempt to hold the Club in the Art School proved scarcely more satisfactory and in these circumstances the Club was forced to close at the end of term. However, we are determined that the Club shall begin again in the new term, when a knock—out competition will be held. It is hoped that this feature will attract added interest and attendance.


During the Summer term of this year, in May, we in the second forms started on a new venture; we joined a book club. The club is run by the publishing firm ‘Paperbacks Limited’ who specialise in publishing paperback books for children. It is open to all schools and there are branches of the club all over the country. When a school joins, it forms its own separate branch, appointing a secretary who is in charge of ordering the books and so on. At present, there are about forty-eight members in the club but we hope to start expanding very soon.
Once a term, the club receives a supply of Club Magazines and a new set of order forms. There is a very wide selection of books to choose from: some are well-known classics, while others are more modern. All the titles available are found in the magazine together with news of competitions, crosswords and articles of interest to children. Club members only are allowed to order books and they need only do so when they wish, but when they do they can order as many as they want. The minimum number in one order from a club branch is twenty, and with every twenty books one additional paper-back of the club’s choice is sent free and added to the school’s book-club library. The books range in price from half-a-crown to five shillings, so providing an inexpensive way of building up a personal library. It is also possible to exchange books with other members of the club so that many more can be read without the expense of buying them. As well as the main list of book titles in the magazine, there is a special list called the Top Ten. It is a list of the most popular books as ordered by book-club members. This proves very interesting as it changes in every magazine as books gain, or lose, their popularity.
Although the idea is still comparatively new to us, it has proved very successful and shows every sign of flourishing.


This year the usual Sixth Form trip to the Royal Shakespeare Theatre at Stratford was successfully combined with a visit to Coventry Cathedral. The day was wet and foggy as our coach arrived at Coventry. We went straight to the Cathedral. The combination of ancient and modern architecture with the building of the new cathedral adjacent to the shell of the war-destroyed old one was most impressive. The approach to the cathedral by the East entrance steps to St. Michael’s porch is dominated by Epstein’s powerful figure of ‘St. Michael slaying the Devil’. This, together with John Hutton’s staggering ‘west wall’-a vast expanse of incised glass-made an awesome introduction to the majesty and splendour of the great interior of the cathedral, whose every feature was touched by the all-pervading glow from the wonderful stained glass windows. The crown of thorns represented above the nave was echoed in the choir stalls and beautiful and unusual chapels. The Sutherland tapestry - the biggest in the world-was certainly striking. 74 feet, 8 inches high by 38 feet wide, it hangs on the ‘East’ wall of the cathedral and forms a reredos to both the high Altar and the Lady Chapel.
After leaving the Cathedral we spent some hours in the city itself which has also been redesigned and rebuilt since the war. Even the rain could not hide the clear, modern lines of the Precinct, Coventry’s new and comprehensive shopping centre. From Coventry, we had but a short journey to Stratford where we were to see ‘Measure for Measure’. The leading parts were taken by Judi Dench, Marius Goring and Tom Fleming. We felt that the play, although well-acted and presented, sacrificed, in this production, effective characterisation for emphasis on the conflict between the virtue of purity and the force of evil which seeks to overthrow it. The story was always compelling, however, and this, together with the witty and humorous touches supplied by amusing characters like Froth, a foolish gentleman, and Elbow, the constable, made the evening both entertaining and instructive.
Our thanks go once again to Mr. Northam for organising yet another extremely interesting and enjoyable visit.


Earlier this year, in March, Mr. and Mrs. Winspear led a party of senior pupils on a new venture for the school, a Mediterranean Cruise. Many thanks are due to them for all the hard work they put in both in the months before the trip and on the cruise itself, all of which helped to make the trip never to be forgotten by everyone who went.

Fri., Mar. 1st Morning Rail trip Lydney to Paddington. Underground Paddington to Victoria.

Afternoon By Rail Victoria to Folkestone. Crossing by Cross Channel Ferry to Calais.
Smooth Sea. Arrived Calais early evening and entrained immediately after customs. Couchettes. Via Metz, Lille, Strasbourg.

Saturday Morning Entered Switzerland. Via Basel, Chiasso.

Afternoon Milan to Genoa. Boarded M.S. Dunera. Set sail early evening.

Sunday Morning At sea in morning. Arrived Civitavecchia late morning. Also lecture given on
Rome by ship’s Chief Education Officer.

Afternoon Individual sightseeing in Civitavecchia.
Evening at leisure.

Monday Morning Coach trip to Rome. Arrived mid-morning. Sightseeing including visit inside St. Peter’s and Vatican, and the Coliseum. Sandwich Lunch.

Afternoon Trip continued around newer parts of city. Arrived back at Civitavecchia early
Tuesday Morning Departed Civitavecchia during late Monday. At sea during night and arrived Naples early morning. By coach to Sulphaterra and Little Vesuvius. Returned to ship for lunch
Afternoon By coach to Pompeii. Guided tour of Pompeii all afternoon. Returned late afternoon. Film show in evening. Departed Naples late evening.

Wednesday Morning Classroom studies. Lecture on Malta.

Afternoon At sea still. Funfair for charity in evening.
Thursday Morning Arrived Malta early morning. Guided tour of Valletta in morning including Cathedral and the Knights of St. John Armoury. Lunch on board ship.
Afternoon Individual sightseeing. Dance on board in evening.
Friday Morning Boys visited submarine all morning.
Girls’ trip around Valletta.

Afternoon By coach across island and then bathing in sea. Returned late afternoon.
Departed Malta late evening.
Saturday Morning At sea. Visit to Engine room by boys and to kitchens by girls.
Afternoon At leisure. Film show in evening
Sunday Morning Arrived Dubrovnik. Later, lecture on Dubrovnik by Chief Education Officer.
Afternoon Tour of Dubrovnik by foot as no vehicles are allowed inside wall all afternoon.
Departed Dubrovnik late evening.
Monday Morning At sea. Lessons in Classroom. Lecture on Venice.
Afternoon Deck-Hockey Tournament. Both Boys’ and Girls’ sections won by school. Boys visited bridge. In evening first half of ship’s concert held.
Tuesday Morning Arrived Venice. Sightseeing around Venice on foot including Cathedral and St. Mark’s Square. Returned to ship via canals on a boat.

Afternoon Individual sightseeing in Venice. In evening second half of ship’s concert.
Also in evening fancy dress ball.

Wednesday Morning Packing luggage. Left ship late morning. Travelled by boat along Grand Canal
to station. Entrained midday
Afternoon Travelled to Milan. Thence same route as outward journey. Couchettes at night.

Thursday Morning Arrived Calais midday. Cross-Channel Ferry to Folkestone. Entrained for Victoria.
Arriving aboard the "M.S. Dunera" at Genoa, after a tiring but interesting journey, we were welcomed by the crew, and shown to our dormitory by a rather boisterous matron. This dormitory was at the very bottom of the ship, and, as we discovered later, had various disadvantages.
Life on board proved to be rather hectic. The very first morning we were awakened by a loud hissing over the loudspeaker in our dormitory, followed by a raucous recording of "Reveille Rock", then a voice said "Good morning, student passengers? At this point every available pillow was sent hurtling through the air in the direction of the cultured voice. What was the time'? - 7.00 am.!
A few minutes later "The Voice" which turned out to be that of the purser, told us we should now be on our way to the dining hall for breakfast. This suggestion was more successful and we fell out of bed and rushed into the bathroom (still in our lingerie and curlers) only to find the bathroom flooded. A quiet voice said "Goode mornin" and we turned to see our Asian steward, so with red faces and sheepish grins we quickly retreated into the dormitory.
After breakfast there was an emergency fire alarm. Everyone became confused and many were lost, so that by the time we had all assembled at muster stations, and had put on our life-jackets, the ship could have sunk, and the student passengers with it. Soon we became used to rising early and everyone was looking decidedly more respectable at the breakfast-table. It was not only our appearance which improved but also that of the dormitory. Each morning at 10 a.m. everyone had to vacate the dormitory for the inspection which was held by the captain who awarded marks for neatness. There was great rivalry between the dormitories, and it was much to our delight, tinged, however, with disappointment, that we came a close second at the end of the trip.
Each evening was spent on board ship, where there was much activity. Amusements varied from the juke-box and snack-bar in the recreation room, to chess in the library and a cold dip in the duck-pond, a swimming pool which acquired that name because of its size. Much entertainment was provided by the crew who organized fairy-lit dances and treasure-hunts on deck, culminating in a fancy dress-ball, where costumes and disguises varied from life-like corpses to Japanese ladies. Two complete days were spent at sea during which we had lesson-time in which to write up our log-books, and heard lectures given on the different ports of call. In between lessons we could entertain ourselves in the recreation room, play games on deck, or sunbathe. A concert was held on the last two evenings with artistes from various schools taking part. Included in the programme was a sword-dance, a school choir, and an exhibition of the "Charleston." At the end of the cruise, it was with regret that we all waved farewell to the ship and her crew and our taste of a life on the ocean waves.


"Come on - up you get! Beautiful day. Breakfast’s nearly ready." The only reply that came from the tents was a series of grunts.
So began another day at Churnside Camp where III Alpha were spending a week under the supervision of Miss Fryer and Mr. Morris. After the very thorough inspection of our tents by the warden, we all assembled in the square to be told the programme for the coming day, a day which was to prove extremely long. We were told by Mr. Morris that we were going to walk to the Roman Villa at Chedworth.
" How far is it, Sir ?" "Oh, not very far."
There was a sarcastic murmuring among us, but we hurried to collect provisions. We covered three miles in good spirits and by that time had left the main road for the beaten track. Our spirits began to drop, however, when we unexpectedly reached a main road. Our fears were justified - we had taken the wrong turning and had lost the way. As we looked to Mr. Morris for guidance he muttered words of encouragement, but our feet did not notice the benefit. Eventually we were obliged to seek the aid of a postman who informed us that we would have to retrace our steps to find the correct turning. Because of our mistake we could only spend a short time at the Roman Villa. On the return journey we found a pleasingly definite though rather hard road and our former mistake was discovered - we had taken a forestry road instead of a less used cart-track. The journey home was thus accomplished without mishap and we reached camp at 7.30 p.m.
An inspection of our rather blistered feet made us realise both the importance and the benefit of the art of map-reading which we were painfully striving to acquire.


The Three Counties Craftsmanship Competition is organised annually by the Three Counties Industrial Education Association, the three counties concerned being Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire. There are two main groups in the competition: one is for apprentices and the other for schools, and each group is subdivided into two classes, one class being for workshop appliances and the other for models. There is also a woodwork section and a special section for test pieces in the apprentices group in which the apprentices are given a working drawing of a machine part and then asked to construct this part, the best-made being adjudged the winner.
With the object of entering it for the competition, I started work during the last term of my year in the fifth form on a twist drill grinding jig (which, for the uninitiated, is an attachment for grinding the point of a drill to the correct angles). The design for the jig, which was obtained from the pages of the "Model Engineer" magazine, was extremely complicated and involved many difficult mathematical calculations, some of which were beyond my scope. However, after some toil, trouble and delay the jig was finished just in time to be taken to Gloucester for the competition. I was very pleased to hear a few weeks later that I had won first prize in my class and that a £5 prize was awaiting me. The prize giving was held at the Metal Box Company, Limited, of Worcester, the prizes being presented, in the presence of the Sheriff and the Lady Mayor of Worcester, by Sir Harold Roxbee Cox, a distinguished scientist.
After the prize giving we were given the opportunity of looking at the other prize-winning entries in the competition. The apprentices’ workshop appliances section contained many excellent entries including a beautifully finished sine bar complete with centres.
Our day ended with a tour of the factory which in fact produces not metal boxes but tin cans for fruit and vegetables. We saw the tin being treated with lacquer, then cut, rolled up, soldered and finally loaded into large packing cases for transport to the canning factories.


From the hill above Malvern we caught a glimpse of the car parks, packed with cars, and next to these the showground itself. The car park was swarming with activity: doors were slamming and people were getting out, while the busy policemen on duty guided other cars and coaches to their places. Much to our delight dogs of all sorts, shapes and sizes were being helped from various cars by their owners. There was evidently a dog show! Once through the crowded entrance we strolled off to examine the exhibits. The animals being our main interest, we soon found ourselves peering into an enclosure labelled ‘DOGS’.
Inside the first marquee we entered, several Alsatians looked at us with mournful, velvety eyes as if imploring us to let them out of the stifling tent. Not all of them, however, were quite so subdued and, much to our horror, one set up a fierce barking as we passed.
From the Alsatian-Collie tent we made our way to the one in which the Great Danes were housed. These animals, though so huge as almost to dwarf us by their size, were much more docile and friendly. All were being carefully brushed and combed and we even heard one fond owner say, "Come along, sweetie," to the largest, most savage looking dog we had ever seen in our lives. The next tent contained the Boxers, Pugs and Bulldogs, the last of which looked like bad-tempered barrels set on sagging, Queen Anne legs.
As we looked around, we decided that owners really do grow to look like their pets. An extremely tall lady was escorted by an extremely large Great Dane, while between another lady and the bulldog she was leading there was a startling resemblance. In the next tent the poodles were being titivated with brushes, combs and even hair lacquer! Weak with laughter we left the Dog Show and went to see the rabbits.
Next, the crows, clucks and coos which issued from the poultry tents enticed us in. We were amazed at the great variety of hens and pigeons that either crouched miserably in corners or strutted disdainfully round their tiny cages.
The colours of the Bowers in the flower tent nearly took our breath away. Sections were divided off for roses, fuchsias, lupins and many other types of flowers. It was with difficulty that we tore ourselves away to take one last look at the other exhibits which, incidentally, included art-work done by pupils of this school. As we rode home, we discussed the things we had seen; we decided that we had all enjoyed our outing very much but, for those who had seen it, the Dog Show made the day.


It was half-past nine when a coach load of third formers, accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Rowley, set out from Lydney to visit Westonbirt Arboretum. We crossed the river at Gloucester and travelled through the pleasant Gloucestershire countryside until we reached Woodchester where we intended to visit the famous mosaic pavement which had been built there by the Romans.
In this, however, we were destined to disappointment for we found that the pavement which, to prevent its being spoiled by the weather, is buried under the earth for much of the time, was not to be opened up again until July. Tetbury was our next stopping place and after lunch we explored the town, the centre of which is a huge stone building supported by pillars. Unfortunately the rain, which had looked imminent all day, began to pour down and we were obliged to return to the coach and continue our journey to Westonbirt.
The entrance to the arboretum was quite a way from the road and after leaving the coach we walked through a rain-soaked field to the gate. Inside, we split up into groups and walked along a series of tracks through the trees. The arboretum is a truly fascinating place: it contains trees from all over the world but few were to be seen in their true beauty because the hard winter had hindered their progress. Everywhere were masses of a most beautiful shrub with waxen {lowers of many different hues and, despite the lateness of the season, many flowers, rare to this part of the country, could be seen in sheltered corners. We proceeded to the warden’s house where we were shown maps of the arboretum which indicated the different types of soil and those varieties of trees which best thrived on each type. We were taken through a series of greenhouses where the experts grow new varieties of trees by crossing the well-known varieties. The watering of the plants in the greenhouses was automatic and we were told that when the humidity of the air falls below the required levels, water sprays are turned on. We were also informed that when the seedlings are strong enough they are moved into beds just outside the building before being finally transplanted in the arboretum. When we finally left the greenhouses the rain had stopped and two guides took us round the arboretum again, pointing out some of the more interesting features which we had missed on our first tour. One thing which interested us greatly was a huge tree whose bark was like sponge in appearance and which was also soft to the touch. At last it was time to leave and, after stopping at Cirencester and at Birdlip, we eventually arrived back in Lydney at about half- past seven in the evening happy, if rather damp, after our day out.


The problem of what to do with a gratuitous Moped engine is one which faces few people. However a small 50 cc. 4 stroke engine arrived in the workshop and remained there to taunt us. Unable to leave it alone we overhauled the engine, set it up on a test-bed and for a few days enjoyed its noise and exhaust fumes. We thought about using the engine in a model car or Go-kart, but of course we should then need a track as well. Someone suggested that we should make a toy tractor, safe even for a small child since its speed would be low, and capable of negotiating rough ground, so getting rid of the need for a track.
Immediately it was realised that a gearbox was required and after an extensive search one was unearthed. Patrick Curtis arrived at school one morning and indefinitely postponed Physics’ test by stating: "Sir, I’ve found a gearbox. It’s behind the tinworks." "Good! Go and fetch it."
" There is just one problem, sir . . . it still has a car all round it" and, with a light in his eye, "but I could soon fix that." The owner was contacted and permission was gained to dismantle the car, a dirty, sad, unwanted, unloved Morris 8, with red paintwork and fiat tyres. It was partly dismantled and we were trying to remove the bodywork by bouncing on the spare wheel, when an Irishwoman hurried over to us and complained in a grievous tone that the car was hers. On continuing the discussion, however, we found that she didn’t actually own the car, but had been keeping an eye on it for a friend. This started a chain of events comparable only to the night that O’Rafferty’s pig ran away, the true owner being difficult to find. Eventually he was traced and, with some misgivings, we asked if we could dismantle the car. Our fears, however, were uncalled for as the owner gave his permission willingly, even seeing the humorous side of the story.
The greater part of the dismantling was carried out by R. Wilson, P. Curtis and R. Lloyd, who cycled to the tinworks, armed with tools and old clothes. They were encouraged with food provided by Mr. Jones which was consumed with great relish and handled with oily fingers, giving it the additional flavour of back-axle grease. The tractor was to have chain transmission through the Morris gearbox which was fitted with a sprocket on either end and mounted transversely across the frame. The engine and gearbox mountings were made of mild steel and bolted directly to the main chassis members - which, incidentally, took the form of old bed-irons. The steering utilised much of the original Morris steering gear, the main front axle being fabricated from mild steel and the steering column reduced in length from four feet to two feet. Soon the initial trials began, to determine what modifications would be necessary. After this the rear axle was connected to the gearbox, the engine was started, the clutch depressed, first gear selected, and the clutch pedal slowly raised - for the first time the tractor moved under its own power.
When the final improvements were made to the tractor, it was entered in the Three Counties Industrial Education Association’s Competition in which it gained a "highly commended" certificate, and was later exhibited at the Three Counties Show. Here it proved to be one of the most prominent exhibits and attracted a great deal of attention.
The performance of the tractor was quite surprising, as, hauling a trailer containing eleven boys, it took a one-in-forty gradient without difficulty, and, without a load, achieved a maximum speed of twelve miles per hour.


Through last few nights of frantic toil I freely burn the midnight oil. Too late, alas, I now repent Of hours in languid leisure spent - Hours of relaxing, and surmise All the time left for revising.
I think - Oh, how it shocks me so To find so much I do not know. And Oh! what agony I find To drive the facts into my mind. My tortured brain cries out for peace, Its unaccustomed toils to cease.
With dark blue rims around each eye “I bite my nails and gently sigh And let my wandering thoughts abide With various means of suicide. But now it is too late I fear, The time of reckoning is near.


Arriving at Paddington station at ten o’clock on July 13th after a two-and-a—half`-hour train journey, the Sixth Form party were guided across London by the staff and Mr. Loughlin, M.P. for West Gloucestershire. It was our first journey on the Underground that day, but soon many of the party gained great satisfaction in finding their way around London by tube, with as little trouble as the bowler-hatted commuters that we saw - or so we convinced ourselves!
We went to the forecourt of the Houses of Parliament and entered by the members’ door, surrounded by other visitors, including many from abroad. From the Powder Room, used by the Queen when she opens the House, the party moved on through several vast galleries hung with portraits of former monarchs. Each king and queen seemed to add to the atmosphere of heritage and tradition which had already impressed itself upon us. These galleries led into the House of Lords with its grand State Throne and the ancient Woolsack, which, when opened in years past, was found not to be stuffed with wool after all.
Walking through the lobby we went into the House of Commons, bombed during the war and rebuilt in recent years, with the old "Churchill Doorway" left as a tribute to the Great War minister. The House is furnished in green, contrasting with the red and blue of the House of Lords, and on the carpet dividing the Opposition from the Government are two red lines, running down the whole length of the chamber. These, Mr. Loughlin told us, are two sword-lengths apart and they thus prevented a member from either side killing or wounding his opponent, in the days when men carried swords and heated tempers with them!
We next adjourned to the terrace of the Houses of Parliament overlooking the Thames, where a group photograph was taken; and we had the good fortune to meet Mrs. Bessie Braddock.
Our tour finished with a visit to the Palace of Westminster, where large official functions are held and where former kings and queens lie in state. We were all very grateful to Mr. Loughlin for a most enlightening and enjoyable tour.
Leaving the Houses of Parliament the party split into groups and took the opportunity of visiting parts of the city. In the evening, everybody enjoyed the entertainment provided by "Blitz", "Boeing Boeing", or "Lawrence of Arabia". On returning to the train we exchanged stories of our unsuccessful efforts to row on the Serpentine or of the hurried attempts to reach Paddington on time. As we sat in the carriages eating the peaches or strawberries we had bought in the city, it seemed hardly possible that it was only yesterday we had started on our journey to London, for so much had happened in the time. Remembering how we enjoyed, the trip, I should like to thank Mr. Laycock on behalf of us all for making the outing possible.


Preparations for School Camp start early in the year. The dates must be fixed and application forms must be issued and collected so that the necessary tentage can be booked early. It was known last Autumn that, after nine happy camps at Saundersfoot, a new site had to be found. It was intended to look around at half-term in February, when the fields are at their worst and a good judgment can be made. Such a search often takes one or two days, trudging around in cape, sou’-wester and gum-boots, and this time the great cold spell prevented a more before March, when the snow-buried roads were clear enough to set out for North Devon. A good site must be well sheltered, have an adequate water supply and be near a railway station and a small town. It must also be near a safe, sandy bathing beach which is not overcrowded in summer. The first day brought no success, but a good site was found next morning near Ilfracombe, contacts were made with local tradesmen and the general preparations started. Before the forms were out, the farmer reported local opposition to camping in this village, and, after protracted correspondence between the School, the Local Authority and the Ministry of Housing, it was deemed prudent to look for another site. Fortunately, as late as the last , week in June, a site was found in Charmouth, Dorset, which luckily would be available at the time we wanted. By now, however, many had made other arrangements for a holiday, but some fifty pupils, six staff and two families camped some five miles from our former site of 1935 to 1939 and 1947 to 1952. The weather was not very kind, but the field dried well and the tentage was of very good quality. Though camp is now over, the bills come in and the reckoning must be made before Christmas; for soon the preparation for next year’s camp begins. There have now been 22 camps and three members of staff have ‘scored’ 21, 17 and 16 respectively with a fine average of 18. They look forward to many more be they wet, dry, hot or cold. H.T.P


The first XV again enjoyed a very successful season and extended the unbeaten-at-home record into its eleventh year. The young team were soon whipped into shape by the excellent coaching of Mr. E. J. Pariitt and turned into an extremely strong and mobile pack backed by a fast three quarter line. Eight of the eleven matches played were won, and two drawn, one match being lost to Cirencester G.S. V
Perhaps the toughest match of the season was the drawn game against King Edward’s, Five Ways, Birmingham.
We should like to congratulate them on their very successful season and thank them for a fine match. Although this was the first season for many years that the school did not gain an England Schoolboy cap, many of the team gained representative honours. A Rudge, S. Thomas, K. James and D. Gardner were selected to play for the County ‘l9’ group and K. James went on to the final England Trial.
The Colts XV’s season was marred by the bad weather but in spite of this, A. Townley, J. Cracknell, M. Harrison and P. Charles played for the County ‘l5’ group.
Congratulations are also due to two Old Boys, B. Dovey who led the England pack against Wales and Ireland, and to T. Wintle who toured Australasia with the England team and also represented the Barbarians.

Opponents Venue Result
LARKFIELD G.S. Home Won 8-6
CIRENCESTER G.S. Away Lost 3-9
CRYPT SCHOOL Away Won 22-19
KINGSWOOD G.S. Home Won 33-3
ABERTILLERY G.S. Away Cancelled

GIRLS’ HOCKEY, 1962-63
The number of school matches that could be played this season was, unfortunately, severely curtailed by the appalling weather conditions which led to the cancellation of all the matches arranged for after Christmas. However, during this short season the 1st XI worked well together with a strong team spirit; stick-work improved considerably, thus enabling the team to develop advanced techniques.
As a result of the seven matches played, only two were lost; two were drawn, and the remaining three were won. The 2nd XI and the U. 15 XI had a very good season, losing only one match between them.
Colours were re—awarded to: Wendy Cooke, Jane Parton, Judy Imm, Susan Wales.
New colours were awarded to: Jane Harris, Hazel Holman, Jocelyn Watkins.
Half—colours were awarded to: Rosemary , Maiden, Valerie Wildin, Elizabeth Rice, Jennifer Phillips. J
Susan Wales, a member of the 1st XI, was selected to play for the Gloucestershire 2nd_X_L V J
Wendy Cooke (Captain).

Opponents Venue 1st XI 2nd XI U.15 XI
PATES Home Drew 1-1 Lost 0-2
RIBSTON HALL Home Won 4-2 Won 3-1
STROUD TECH Away Won 6-1 Won 5-0
BELL’S Home Lost 2-4 Won 3-1
Senior Hockey Tournament at Bristol
DURSLEY Home Cancelled
LARKFIELD Home Won 2-1 Drew 0-0
STROUD HIGH Away Cancelled
EAST DEAN Home Lost 2-1 Won 7-1
DENMARK ROAD Away Drew 3-3 Won 2-1
All Spring fixtures cancelled.

Owing to the severe winter the hockey season was greatly curtailed. In fact only three matches were played; in two, teams containing reserves were fielded, many of the team being engaged at other sporting functions. As usual we were easily beaten by the ‘Old Boys’ team, but drew in a very exciting game with Gloucester City ‘Seconds’. The other game was played against a touring team from Belfast Royal Academy, this being a new fixture.
Matches: OLD BOYS Lost 4-0
BELFAST Lost 5--1
Colours re-awarded: R. James, K. James, A. Wilcox.
Half—colours awarded: F. Worgan.
Half—colours re-awarded: N. Brambell, D. Gardner, L. Mills, D. Pitt, C. Bayliss.
K. JAMES (Captain).


May 30th dawned, not bright and clear, as hoped, but wet and overcast. At about nine-thirty a.m. the skies remained an ominous grey and seemed to forecast that the rain which had started would continue all day. Everyone groaned at the thought of the possible loss of a free afternoon, and of the homework that would have to be scribbled during the lunch-hour. There was much discussion between the members of staff concerned, and as the bell sounded for the end of morning school it was still undecided whether the sports would take place or not. The rain had ceased, however, by the time pupils returned from lunch and a rumour was spreading that the sports would not be postponed after all. This was confirmed by form teachers at the five-to-two’ roll-call and pupils swarmed from classrooms with chairs for themselves and the visitors. These visitors consisted mainly of doting parents who had come to watch their offspring perform and who, by the end of the afternoon, though they would never have admitted it, were in some instances disappointed.
Competitors for the first three events lined up at their starting positions supervised by Mr. Barlow, and woe betide anyone who was late! Despite the bad conditions the second and third events brought records. In the first form eighty yards June Lindsay—Smith broke the record (established in 1960) when she finished in 10.4 seconds and Judith Reeks won the Senior girls 880 yards in 2 minutes 40 seconds to break another record, also set up in 1960.
Perhaps the most interesting and exciting of events were the Senior and Junior boys 880 yards. In the former L. Mills and F. Worgan were running neck and neck for most of the race but Mills gained victory with a final spurt just before the tape. The Junior boy ‘880’ was won by Townley who looked a sure winner right from the start. He completed his run in a time of 2 minutes 13.1 seconds, beating yet another record set up in 1960. Another exciting event was the Junior Girls 100 yards in which Margaret Swinyard broke her own record of last year, in a time of 11.8 seconds.
In the ‘shot’ Spencer Thomas after a great struggle with Anthony Rudge broke his own school record with a put of 43 feet 5 inches, exceeding his previous best by 1 foot 6 inches.
Although the rain did its best to spoil the events of the afternoon, it failed, for Sports Day proved to be just as interesting and exciting as in previous years.


This year the Swimming Sports took place on Tuesday, 23rd July. Again, we were lucky enough to have good weather with many parents attending.
The standard was a little disappointing in comparison with previous years, although some events ended in very close finishes.
The closest finish of all was in the Senior boys diving which ended in a tie for first place between N. Brambell and P. Helme. Outstanding performances came from Lorraine Howells and N. Brambell who each won three events. In the Juniors, S. Jelf won all his events.
House Results
Boys: 1 - Bathurst, 2 - Thomas, 3 - Price, 4 - Marling.
Girls: 1 - Thomas, 2 - Mar1ing, 3 - Bathurst, 4 - Price.

Boys: Colours re-awarded: N. Brambell, D. Pitt.
New colours: P. Bayliss, P. Charles.
New half-colours: H. Kear, D. Svendsen, M. Hoult, P. Helme.
Girls: New half-colours: L. Howells, M. Mattingly.
D. PITT, VI Sc. B.


The First Cricket XI did not meet with a great deal of success this season. In fact of the nine matches played only two were won. Of the remaining seven, one was drawn and six lost. The team contained many young players, however, and consequently lacked the necessary experience. As most of these players will be returning next year we hope for a more successful season in 1964.
Thanks are due to Mr. Parfitt who coached the First XI, Mr. Stevens who coached the Second XI, Mr. Battersby the Junior XI and Mr. Morris the Under 13s.
Colours re-awarded: K. James, L. Mills.
New Colours: D. Gardner, R. James, D. Dunsden, A. Wilcox, S. Thomas.
Half Colours: D. Pitt, F. Worgan, C. Bayliss, R. Reed, G. Brown.

Innings Runs Average
D. GARDNER 9 103 11.4
F. WORGAN 9 - 4 n.o. 55 11.0
D. DUNSDEN 8 - 1 n.o. 75 10.7


Runs Wickets Average
D. GARDNER 208 21 9.9
S. THOMAS 235 20 11.7
A. WILCOX 211 16 13.9


This year four members of the 1st tennis team were able to go to Cheltenham for two days coaching by Mrs. P. Bocquet, the well-known England and County player By giving us both more skill and more confidence this helped us to improve our standard of play. We are all very grateful to Miss Fryer for her continued support and guidance and also to the ‘ball—girls’ and the senior girls for their willingness to give up their free time.
Unfortunately three matches had to be cancelled this season but of the remaining seven matches the lst VI won five and lost two. The second XI played six matches, winning three and losing three.
One of the high-spots of the season was the annual match between Staff and School. This proved to be both as entertaining and as exciting as in previous years and it was a great disappointment when it had to be abandoned relatively early in the evening owing to rain and bad light.
Colours were re-awarded to: Judith Imm, Patricia Sterry, Susan
New colours awarded to: Wendy Cooke, Jane Parton, Mary
JANE PARTON (Captain).

Opponents Venue 1st VI 2nd VI
EAST DEAN Away Won 9-0
LARKFIELD Home Cancelled
RIBSTON HALL Home Won 7-2 Won 6-3
BELL’S Home Won 5-4 Won 9-0
DURSLEY Home Won 7-2 Lost 4-5
DENMARK ROAD Away Lost 3-6 Lost 3-6
STROUD TECH. Away Won 9-0 Won 9-0
DURSLEY Away Cancelled
STROUD HIGH Home Cancelled
CHARLTON PARK Away Lost 2-7 Lost 1-8

We should like to congratulate Jane on winning the school’s ‘Ladder Tournament’ which was held during the Summer Term. This tournament was part of a national competition so Jane now becomes the school’s representative in the next round. She also deserves congratulation for reaching the semi-final of the Ladies’ Singles Championship in the Lydney Tennis Club Tournament; this was quite an achievement since she had to compete against players much more experienced than herself. - ED.


Hockey Netball Athletics Tennis Rounders Swimming Reading Total
MARLING 3 4 4 1 3½ 3 2 20½
PRICE 4 3 3 2½ 2 1 1 16½
BATHURST 1 1 1 4 3½ 2 1½ 14
THOMAS 2 2 2 2½ 1 4 ½ 14


Rugby Hockey Cross Country Athletics Cricket Swimming Reading Total
MARLING 2 3 3 4 3½ 2 ½ 18
PRICE 4 1 4 3 3½ 1 1½ 18
BATHURST 3 4 2 2 2 3 1½ 17½
THOMAS 1 2 1 1 1 4 1½ 11½

Colours re-awarded: C. Bayliss, S. Thomas, K. James, J. Guest, L. Mills, T. Jenkins, A. Rudge, D. Gardner, D. Treherne.
New Colours: R. James, P. Bayliss, J. Morris, T. Morgan, T. Blandford, F. Worgan.
The school sent a junior team to the Clifton Seven-a-side Tournament and it did well to reach the final where it was beaten by Dr. Morgan’s school.
House Rugby Placings: 1 - Marling, 2- Thomas, 3 - Price, 4 - Bathurst.
C. BAYLISS (Captain) VI Sc. A.


All those who knew John Parfitt were saddened to hear of his death on Thursday, 22nd August, 1963.
Our heartfelt sympathy is extended to Mr. and Mrs. Parfitt in their sad and tragic loss.

JUDITH POWELL has obtained a degree in Zoology with honours at Birmingham University.
CLEDWYN DAVIES has obtained a degree in Geography with honours at Birmingham University.
MICHAEL FOX has obtained a degree in Chemistry and Metallurgy with honours at Manchester University.
KEITH LONG has obtained a degree in Botany with honours at Birmingham University.
ROGER REISSNER has obtained a degree in Mechanical Sciences with honours at St. John’s College, Cambridge.
NEIL MARSHALL, M.B., Ch.B., Charing Cross Hospital.
ROYSTON SMITH, L.D.S. (Licentiate of Dental Surgery).
DAVID WAITE, M.B., Ch.B. (Manchester University).
BERNARD SIMS has obtained a Diploma in Technology at Bristol College of Science and Technology.
A. D. WILLIAMS has obtained a diploma in Technology in Mechanical Engineering with honours at Bristol College of Science and Technology.
W. G. JONES who left school in 1937 and who is now the Chief Education Officer of Sierra Leone was awarded an O.B.E. in this year’s Birthday Honours List.
BEVERLEY DOVEY played for England Rugby XV against Wales and Ireland. .
TREVOR WINTLE toured Australasia with the England Rugby team.


February 1963
Wellington, the federal capital of New Zealand and situated on one of the finest natural harbours in the world, gives many immigrants their first glimpse of the new country. I awoke at 6 a.m. on January 7th, 1963, to see the entrance to Wellington harbour and indeed it is a most impressive experience. It was rather misty, as we stood on the boat deck eagerly scanning the view of the small, white houses nestled among the hills, the giant fern trees bending in the breeze, and the rugged mountains towering above the whole harbour and city of Wellington.
We were met by my aunt and uncle and driven to Wanganui, a river city on the west coast of the North Island and about 128 miles from Wellington. We drove along the coastal road and saw the beaches with their black sand littered with drift-wood on the western side. I began to notice the rugged, untidy features of this raw, young land with its broken-down fences, high, towering hills and jagged rocks.
Our first impression of Wanganui was not a favourable one. The Wanganui river is the muddiest river in the country and, as we crossed the rusty town bridge, our first view was of the city gas-works, railway and some filthy Maori settlements where the grubby, dark-skinned children waved and smiled to us as we rushed by. However, we found that we do have our local beauty spots: the Virginia Lake reserve is an extinct volcano where ducks and swans breed in their hundreds, and is surrounded by graceful pineapple palm trees; high above the Wanganui River is a spot called "Gentle Annie" where one can see miles of the surrounding bush country, still unexplored and impenetrable. I think we shall settle well in this country. We like the friendly, happy people, the clean, fresh air and plentiful sunshine, the wide open spaces and the rugged outback. We are enchanted with this land which, although new and comparatively undeveloped, is a wonderful place to begin a new life.

June 23rd, 1963.
I find it amusing now to reflect on what I had expected of life at a Physical Education College. Pictures of pleasant hours spent playing tennis and hockey and of relaxing in the swimming baths had flashed through my mind. When ‘A’ level was at last over, I remember breathing a sigh of relief`, complacently thinking that all major exams were over.
Having just finished my eighth examination and tenth practical assessment of this first year, it is hard to recall that old dream. I now find myself quaking, crouched behind the wickets with very hard cricket balls whistling past my ears, or gathering myself in the dance hall preparatory to ‘bursting forth out of the chrysalis, to the ecstasy of the first flight of a butterfly’. Just ten minutes later I am being goaded into doing a flying handstand on to and off a moving box. "You must ATTACK the apparatus. If you dither, how on earth can you expect your pupils to do it?" CRASH! I pick myself up and smile reassuringly, hoping that it will appear that I intended to land in a twisted heap. The lecture ends and thirty aching bodies dive into the steam-filled shower rooms. For too few blissful minutes the hissing hot water soothes a colourful assortment of bruises. "Look at the time!" A lightning change of clothing and we go out on to the field for an intensive hour of athletics.
Science, English and Music lectures make a welcome break from practical work. There is, however, the difficulty of trying to stand up after sitting down for an hour, particularly if theory follows a gym lecture. Believe it or not, everyone enjoys this varied, interesting course, and the reward is fitness, alertness and a full enjoyment of free time. After notes and practices are over in the evenings there is always a dance in the nearby University Hostels, or theatres, cinemas and concerts to go to in town.
Liverpool offers everything in the way of entertainment and cultural activities. It has its grime, its slums and its problem citizens but it is alive, vital and immense, and well worth living in as a student.
I. M. Marsh College of Physical Education, Liverpool.

University of Sussex, June 1963

It has not been easy to weave my impressions of Sussex University into a coherent pattern for the purpose of this article. With essays to prepare regularly in all too short a space of time, one is inclined to cram as much as possible into each day rather than to sit back and take a ‘long cool look’ at university life here. The two most obvious points that occur when one does are that, compared to other universities, Sussex is small and new. At the moment there are only about 500 students here, though next term will bring 500 more—~an event we await with trepidation as the lunch queues are long enough already, thank you! Because we are small we are not perhaps as ‘cliquey’ as other, larger universities. Everyone knows everyone else——there are no particular sets which keep aloof from others. Various vague groupings have appeared, of course—the C.N.D. set, the ‘sporty’ crowd and so forth—but these have not become so cut off from the rest of us that they can avoid occasionally hearing ideas which differ from their own. Because we are at a small university, few of us feel that we are ‘cogs in a vast machine’. Students are on Christian—name terms with tutors; the professors are familiar rather than awesome figures seen only on official occasions. Knowing the faculty well makes one realise that dons, too, are fallible —and this adds spice to argument in tutorials.
Since we are a new university most of us are concerned with internal policy. During this term, for example, there has been much contention about the composition of various union committees. This has led to several heated discussions in union general meetings. We care deeply about the kind of traditions we are setting and feeling very often runs high. This is all to the good, however, for our union meetings have become interesting, informal affairs rather than dull, ritual occasions. A new educational institution has intellectual advantages too in that there is constant experiment with both the form and the method of teaching. All in all, I feel extremely lucky to be studying at such an exciting university.

If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here

WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.