SunGreen web site - Cinderford, Mitcheldean, Drybrook, Ruardean and nearby areas.

TAP or Click here to show or hide the MENU

Dryrook Cross, Gloucestershire c.1910.

Drybrook Cross in 1918

Villagers informally gathered for a photograph at Drybrook Cross.

Jeff Jones added: "...This postcard photo was taken c1910. As usual the photographer has encouraged locals to be in the frame, as it made the photo more interesting plus guaranteed local sales. Outside the shop on the left are the owner and family. In 1901 it was a Coffee shop run by Martha Morman, by 1911 she was widowed and ran it as a grocer's shop with her children, note the "Peek Freans" enamel sign. Next to that is the "True Heart" pub, owned by Wintle's Forest Brewery since 1890s, landlord at time of this photo was John E. Hughes, it closed c1970 and was converted into flats by the owner, local builder John James. Opposite it on right of photo the "Royal Oak" pub, also owned by Wintle's. The man in bowler hat is possibly the landlord who was Arthur J.A. Reed c1910. This pub closed in the 1960s, and is now a hairdressers, but still has a pub sign on the wall. Drybrook's only pub nowadays was established in 1838 as the "New Inn", but became the "Hearts of Oak" in the 70s to honour the pubs that were closing around it".

If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here

WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.